1. Laughter helps boost your immune system... by increasing T cell activity, those "killer cells" that help our bodies fight viruses and tumors.
2. Laughter helps lower blood pressure... and cortisol levels, decreases pain and can also help stabilize blood sugar.
3. Laughter stimulates chemical changes in the brain... that helps buffer our bodies against the cumulative effects of stress.
4. Laughter burns a few extra calories... according to a recent university study, just ten or fifteen minutes worth of chuckles throughout the day can burn up to forty calories.
5. Laughter stimulates the release of endorphin's... the mood-elevating brain chemicals behind the "runner's high."
6. Laughter helps reduce inflammation throughout the body... good news for your heart, brain and circulatory health.
7. Laughter "massages" internal organs... which is why it's sometimes referred to as "internal jogging" ~ with effects similar to exercise.
8. Laughter provides a light workout... for the heart, lungs, diaphragm and even the abdominal muscles.
9. Laughter releases tension in the muscles... of the face, neck, shoulders and abdomen ~ all common areas where we tend to hold lots of tension.
10. Laughter is physically and mentally therapeutic... an involuntary response, that positively alters mood instantly. What could be better?
I read this today in one of the blogs I get in my email and I loved how it listed all the awesome reasons to laugh, not that I need any excuses or ideas ;) I laugh so much now that people often wonder if I am on something... I am not... I am just a very happy person. I think it is kind of funny when someone is happy and people think there is something wrong with them.
I have always had a unique laugh and I don't hold back when something sets me off, I giggle often and I truly enjoy letting go. I think we all need to find more reasons to laugh and smile, it can certainly make you much happier. I know that since I have made a conscious decision daily to be as happy as I possibly can, I find it easier to laugh even more.
Also, I surround myself with people who love to laugh as well... Every night David and I talk on line, we are continually laughing about something, making jokes with each other. We work on uplifting the other one up, I wish we could all be more like this, it feels great.
I used to be the negative type and very unhappy... I must have been very difficult to be around. I am so grateful that I finally learned that my behavior defines my attitude. Now after reading this list of reasons to laugh. I am not sure people can handle that... oh well, lol :D